Sun Belt Conference
I personally must have something against this conference, because I think it is the weakest in major college football, but they always seem to beat good major conference teams. This year they have some solid players and could contend in more than a few matches.
Order of Finish
1. Troy-Has a great defense led by LB Boris Lee and Bear Woods. Defense seems to be at a premium in smaller college football conferences, and this alone could carry them.
2. Florida Atlantic- Rusty Smith is a good QB prospect who could be drafted next April. The face of the program should lead them to a good season and a bowl, with Schnellenburger roaming the sidelines.
3. Arkansas State-RB Reggie Arnold should be the workhouse of the league and propel ASU to a winning record and a possible bowl berth.
4. Florida International- They have come a long way and should be a season or two away from .500. WR T.Y. Hilton was looked over by every other team in the Sunshine State, and he will make them regret it soon. Coach Mario Cristobal won't be around for long.
5. Middle Tennessee State- Defensive Back U has two more good ones, Alex Suber and Jeremy Kellem, but it will not be enough for a bowl bid or to compete in the Sun Belt.
6. Lousiana Monroe- After beating Alabama in 2007, this team got some respect, but that does not carry over an off season.
7. Lousiana Lafayette-6-6 last year, Coach Rickey Bustle on the hot seat and losing starters at RB and QB? Defines rebuilding year and a coaching search to me.
8. Western Kentucky-The Hilltoppers complete their voyage from D-II to independent to full time Sun Belt member. They have some familiarity with these teams but will take a few more years to start competing. The Red Blob will be a football games now!
9 North Texas- LB Tobe Nwigwe leads this perennially basement dwelling team into play next fall. They have cleaned up some disciplinary problems, but now its time for the Mean Green to start winning ballgames.
Corbitt’s Gutsy Guarantee: The Sun Belt will win at least two more games against big time competition. SEC and other conferences now travel to Sun Belt sites and will find an upset here and there. The best Sun Belt teams can beat almost anybody except the elite teams in the nation. More respect for this up and coming conference.